Proper lightning and Co2 system are the two basic requirements of a Co2 fish tank. As plants develop, they use up their existing Co2 supply, due to which shortage of it occurs. To compensate for it, Co2 system kit is installed in aquariums. These systems provide required amount of carbon-dioxide to the aquarium plants for their healthy growth.
Photosynthesis is a natural process that takes place in plants, to convert the light energy into chemical energy, to fuel their activities. For this process, plants require two things: light and carbon dioxide. They use light from the surroundings, so placing the tank in a well-lit area is important. However, Co2 is one thing which they don't get from the environment and without it, they cannot perform the process of photosynthesis, which leads to their untimely death.
What is the role of Co2 System?
To supply carbon-dioxide for the photosynthesis process, Co2 systems come into play. They supply enough Co2 in the water, to help plants continue their process and flourish. If right Co2 level is not maintained in the fish tank, your plants will die. It is for this reason that getting a Co2 system is important.
This system not only provides for carbon-dioxide to your planted tank, but also enhances the quality of water, boosts the well-being of plants and fish, and also keeps the growth of algae under control.
There are numerous Co2 systems available in the market, which makes the task of choosing very confusing. So I have made it easy for you by giving accurate co2 system reviews.
Best Co2 System For Planted Aquarium
Brand, quality, features, pros and cons, everything matters a lot. So based on that criteria, I have short-listed the best co2 systems for your planted aquarium:
DIY Pressurized Co2 System Effective Generator Kit
- INCLUDES EQUIPMENT NEEDED TO DO IT YOURSELF --- In order to build an effective and efficient pressurized CO2 system, there are a few pieces of equipment that are absolutely necessary. The SunGrow DIY CO2 Generator Set includes two caps (that perfectly fit common PET plastic bottles), needle valve, check valve, a pressure gauge, a 3-way connector and 6 feet of 6mm tubing. You simply have to use 2 carbonated beverage bottles, a reaction material and connect it to a diffuser.
- GENERATES ESSENTIAL CO2 FOR A HEALTHY HABITAT --- Fish and aquatic pets release cO2 when they take in the dissolved oxygen from the aquarium water and plants absorb that co2. Carbon dioxide is essential to the photosynthesis process and sometimes fish alone do not generate enough Co2. A pressurized DIY CO2 system adds the needed gas to your water.
- COST-EFFECTIVE & SAFE TO USE --- Instead of spending hundreds of dollars on expensive CO2 diffuser set-ups, save money by creating your own do-it-yourself CO2 generator. The basic principle behind the pressurized CO2 diffuser kit is to create a continuous supply of pure carbon dioxide by causing two different liquids to create with one another. The DIY solution is a cost-effective and satisfying way to add essential CO2 into your aquarium water.
- EASY TO READ, SPECIALIZED PRESSURE GAUGE --- The SunGrow DIY CO2 Generator Set comes complete with a high-quality, specialized pressure gauge. The metal pressure gauge clearly shows the level of CO2 gas on a scale which indicates a safe area. An accurate CO2 reading gives you the chance to make adjustments or relieve pressure before there are any negative effects on your aquarium inhabitants.
- CREATE HOMEMADE DRINKS AS AN ADDED BONUS --- Obviously the DIY Pressurized CO2 Kit is designed to add and control the amount of CO2 available to your fish and plants, but there is a bonus to creating your own CO2 generator. Instead of using baking soda or vinegar as your reaction material, use yeast and grape juice (or yeast and malted barley) to create homemade wine and beer.
Last update on 2021-04-20 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
This regulator from Sungrow, is much less expensive than other Co2 systems. It comes with a kit which includes a needle valve, pressure gauge, tubing and check valve. Though it is a great product, it requires a good amount of maintenance. You need to change the Co2 generating liquid quite often.
DIY Co2 Generator Aquarium Plant System Kit
- 【Working Principle】According to the pressure principle,to push the acid liquid into the small soda liquid,the two liquids reacting to produce continuous PURE carbon dioxide.
- 【Material】The CO2 DIY kit is with ABS engineering plastic cover, with locking pipe device to ensure non-deformation, non-loose, non-slip wire when working.And it's with professional metal material gas adjusting valve to ensure pure CO2 DIY.
- 【Advantage】This CO2 Generator System Kit is with Pressure gauge for pressure display,gas adjustable function,and simple pressure relief, easy to operate, safe and practical advantages! Once start, sustainable gas supply!
- 【Application】Easy to operate and designed for low cost planted tank use,to provide your aquarium plants an abundant CO2 environment for better growing.
- 【Package and Shipping】Pressurized CO2 system includes: caps, needle valve,3-way connector,pressure gauge, 2 bottle caps(not including the bottles),and tubes.Ship within US. Usually takes about 4-7 days.
Last update on 2021-04-27 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
This product by Estink is a bit of a DIY project. It comes with tubing and valves to create a concentrated source of Co2 with liquids. You can later connect it to the aquarium to give your plants the required Co2.
VASCA Hagen Fluval Pressurized Co2 Kit
- The Hagen Fluval Pressurized CO2 Kit come complete with all the necessary tools needed to grow lush and vibrant aquarium plants. This disposable cartridge system is ideal for small planted aquariums.
Last update on 2021-04-23 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Unlike the previous two, this one requires no DIY, just setup. It is perfect for beginners as everything comes assembled. The kit comes with Co2 in small-sealed tanks that you can easily attach to the aquarium. The valves are also already setup and just requires to be attached.
How does a Co2 system works?
Three types of co2 systems are available: manual, automatic and semi-automatic. But regardless of which type you choose, they all function almost the same.
- Manual systems relies on fermentation products. Co2 is made as a byproduct of yeast fermentation in these systems and stored in a separate bottle from the generating one. This bottle is connected to the aquarium and co2 is released via a diffuser or power head. These systems work best in small aquariums and are also cheaper.
- In semi-automatic systems, gas travels from the connected co2 tank into the water via tubing. In these systems, the valve opens automatically , based on a timer. This helps a lot with the up-keeping process. These co2 systems work best in medium-sized tanks.
- Last are the fully automatic co2 systems, in which you need to do nothing after setting up. The system itself gauges the level of co2 already present, and automatically adjusts the level. It does not work with the help of a timer, rather measures the co2 level in water. They are suitable for large-sized aquariums.
How to setup Co2 system in a planted aquarium?
Setting up process depends on the type of Co2 system you buy. In DIY or manual systems, you begin by creating a liquid that can ferment. You then have to connect the fermentation bottle to a valve that releases the CO2 in your tank. In these systems you have to manually open the valve to allow the co2 to enter the tank. Whereas, in semi and fully-automated systems, you just have to connect the co2 system to your tank, which is done with tubes and valves.
Co2 system is an essential part of an aquarium. It is vital to control the level of carbon-dioxide that flows inside your tank as the more of it and even less of it, can have a harmful impact on marine life. So remember to give it a routine check every now and then for their safety.