Betta fish is a sensitive fish and just like its shiny colors, it has shiny tantrums too. It gets easily irritated and stressed with sudden atmospheric changes and easily affects its health with this behavior.
Aquarium salt is beneficial for fishes if used properly and after due research. How just one extra ounce of salt can kill the fish and an ounce less can become ineffective is what you can observe clearly from your Betta fish.
Before we start talking about the ways aquarium salt is good and bad for Betta, let’s get some facts straight about what aquarium salt actually means.
In a Hurry? Our Recommendation
- FORMULATED SPECIFICALLY FOR MARINE aquariumS: Contains every major, minor and trace element delicate marine fish and invertebrates need.
- DISSOLVES FAST: Superior solubility – provides a clear, ready-to-use solution in minutes.
- IDEAL pH: Quickly achieves and maintains ideal pH – free of nitrate and phosphate.
- CONVENIENT: No special additives are needed – will not separate during packaging and shipping.
- INSTANT OCEAN SEA SALT: The industry standard for quality, consistency and value for more than 40 years.
Last update on 2021-04-24 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Aquarium salt comes mostly in two types.
Basic aquarium salt – Sodium chloride
Epsom salt – Magnesium sulphate
This is the basic information you need to have about the aquarium salts before you buy them from the stores for you Betta fish tank. But, the usage of these salts effects the way a Betta would benefit or injure itself from them. So, let’s focus now on how to use these salts for a healthy fish life span and most effective usage.
What does Aquarium salt do to The Betta?
Aquarium salt is a warrior against infections, parasite ich, bacterial growth, sticking of velvet on the scales of the fish. It helps in enhancing the healing process, and replenishes the fin/tail condition and shine from the rot.
How do you apply it for best results?
Aquarium salt is pretty versatile in its nature and the cheapest too. But, you should know how to use it and for what conditions. A bath is quite different from a dip. There is difference in the concentration levels of the mixture as well as the duration for which the Betta fish has to stay in it.
When to not use Aquarium salt?
What does Epsom Salt do to The Betta?
Epsom salt is famous for its quality of reducing the swelling in case of humans so does it help cure swelling in fishes too. Betta fish is compatible to Epsom salt and is preferable to aquarium salt.
Best Aquarium Salt for Betta
- Contains one (1) API AQUARIUM SALT Freshwater Aquarium Salt 65-Ounce Box
- Promotes fish health and disease recovery with increased electrolytes
- Improves respiration for fish in freshwater aquariums
- Made from evaporated sea water for all-natural results
- Use when changing water, when setting up a new freshwater aquarium and when treating fish disease
- For use in freshwater or marine aquaria
- Easily absorbed through both skin and gills; ingestion not required
- Does not adversely affect the filter bed and is easily removed with carbon
- Safely and effectively treats several fungal, and bacterial fish diseases (dropsy, popeye, fin/tail rot, septicemia)
- When used in a medicated food mix, it is excellent for treating bacterial infections in tanks that contain invertebrates
- EXCEPTIONAL PURITY AND THERAPEUTIC VALUE; Ultra Epsom Salt is the highest quality pharmaceutical (USP) grade Magnesium Sulfate available
- BENEFITS INCLUDE relaxing the nervous system, curing skin problems, soothing back pain and aching limbs, easing muscle strain, healing cuts, treating colds and congestion, drawing toxins from the body
- Works well for bath salts, body scrubs, sore muscle and foot soaks and in organic gardening
- DISSOLVES WITH EASE for quick and efficient use
- KOSHER CERTIFIED, Allergen and cruelty-free and devoid of genetically modified organisms (GMOs)
- MADE IN THE USA & CRUELTY FREE: PURE UNSCENTED Epsoak Epsom Salt (Magnesium Sulfate) is USP grade and GMO free (Genetically Modified Organisms). Leaping Bunny certified cruelty free.
- DISSOLVES QUICKLY/GREAT VALUE: After soaking in Epsoak Epsom Salt it becomes clear why Epsoak is the leading name in Epsom Salt. The expertly selected grain size of Epsoak Epsom Salt means that it dissolves quickly & easily in warm water without hassle every single time. It's transparent/slightly white in color, and is unscented. Buy in BULK and save.
- RELAX MUSCLES & IMPROVE SKIN: Known for its amazing therapeutic qualities, an epsom salt bath can help to relieve muscle aches and pains, relieve aching feet, cleanse pores, flush out toxins, detoxify the skin. Mix with shower gel to create your own body scrub.
- WORKS ON PLANTS AND GARDEN: Epsom Salt can do amazing things to help your Garden flourish. Epsom Salt for plants is a completely natural and cost efficient way to give them that extra boost to help your plants thrive. Use on plants, lawn, shrubs and more…
- SATISFACTION GUARANTEED: Here at the San Francisco Salt Company we are confident that you will be completely satisfied with our products, which is why we stand behind every single item that we sell. If you are not completely satisfied with your purchase reach out to us directly and we will make it right.
Last update on 2021-04-26 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
How do you apply it for best results?
Epsom salt works the same for both humans and fishes. It works as a laxative and help cure swim bladder disorder. It can also help the fish to be able to sink and swim better.
When to not use Epsom Salt?
In any case apart from swelling, bloating and wound infections prefer avoiding Epsom salt. But, using it at times to treat even your healthy fish its immune system will be increased.
However, the salts that you use are external chemicals and any external object will somewhat affect your fish breeding process. Hence, you should use them only if required and have the information of their importance gathered before you use them in the fish tanks. The most required thing is to take good care of it on a daily basis by a compatible fish tank setup and maintaining proper food and diet.